1. Crafting. A friend taught me counted cross stitching shortly after Battleground Earth was published in 2004, and I’ve been hooked ever since. I love writing, reading, and all things tech, but sometimes it’s nice to put the devices aside, shut off the TV, and create something different. I even won a second prize ribbon for a Jesus Cross stitch in the 2015 SC State Fair. I also do some jewelry making and other various arts and crafts projects, and I’d like to try embroidery. That may be something to ponder for my next writing hiatus.
2. Vicks Vapor Rub. I love the newer class of antihistamines and decongestants that don’t make you drowsy, and keep Claritin in my cabinet, but Vicks is still the best cure for nasal congestion and post nasal drainage coughs. That’s one “miracle cure” that will never go out of style.
3. Caboodles. Remember these make-up boxes from the 80’s and early 90’s? I still have one! It’s great for keeping my makeup and hair supplies organized in a more efficient space than a drawer where everything slides around every time you open and close it. Walmart and Target still sell them, but not in the variety of sizes they used to, and that’s too bad.
4. V05 Hot Oil Treatment. This stuff works on your hair as well as it did back in the days when my grandmother used it. If you have long hair and don’t like to get haircuts a lot (like me) then a treatment once a month will keep it nice and healthy, and give you more time before getting those split ends trimmed.
5. Avon Skin-So-Soft Original scent. I think this stuff has been around longer than I have, and for good reason: if you want a good, non-greasy, light scented lotion, then you can’t get much better than this. Plus, it’s cheap, it won’t aggravate sensitive sinuses, and it repels bugs.
The world is an ever changing place, but I don’t think we have to worry about all of the old things passing away. In fact, I think there are many things that are here to stay, because they work so well.
That’s all today. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow and a wonderful weekend.