I think the realization would have hit me anyway, even if I were still stuck in book-drafting-brain mode. Everywhere I go, the air is filled with people saying exactly why they dread going home for the holidays. Who they don’t want to see.
What they don’t want to deal with. What better happen or not happen. Dread over travel woes. And exactly what they’ve had enough of and why must they do this anyway?
Well! This is hardly a Normal Rockwell painting.
Some of it is legitimate concern. Bad circumstances, downfalls, health and financial issues, toxic relationships, abuse, and untimely (or even timely) death are sadly too common. I once read a statistic that said as many as 80% of people grew up in dysfunctional families, meaning that idealistic image of the holiday is more fiction than reality. And, being part of the other 20%, I can assure you that there isn’t perfection here, either. I’ve been knocked down, and got up again. Reality is no respecter of persons.
We all have stories. This holiday season, I’d encourage you to live your story honestly, authentically, and with as much gratitude as you can well up in your heart. Elevate your energy. Do what you can, mind your own business, and don’t let them get in your head. It sounds simple, but one thing Dad taught me is that the simple advice isn’t each, but it’s often the most powerful.
I’m no mental health professional. I’m a writer who knows that we all have our stories. We write them with the decisions and actions of everyday life. The pen is in your hand. You can write whatever ending you choose, as long as you’re willing to back that thing up with internal motivation, self-discipline, and inspired action.
We are all imperfect people living in an imperfect world. Maybe your issues are aggravations that can be handled with a change of expectation. Maybe it’s something bigger that requires dealing with post-traumatic stress, setting boundaries, or making life-changing decisions to reset your reality. Just remember that this is your story. Start with gratitude, write your vision, and walk faithfully toward your goal.
Ok folks, it’s nearly Thanksgiving! Time for me to get my head out of fiction and start living the reality that is my story. Let’s infuse it with more gratitude and joy. Tis the season for that, after all.
That’s all today. Take care. Have a Happy Friday tomorrow, a wonderful weekend, and a Happy Thanksgiving!