Why are we in so much debate over what America needs? I think it’s because America itself doesn’t have a uniform set of needs. America is made up of individuals and our needs vary as much as the socks behind the
dryer – they don’ t match and they come from all over the place. Here are 10 things that my corner of America needs:
1. Jobs and a better economy. Well, duh. Maybe that’s one thing we agree on.
2. Three day weekends and four day work weeks. Because a 2 day weekend just isn’t enough time to do all you want/need to do. Heck, most people argue for Fridays but I’d take Mondays. Just one more free day would be a blessing for us 30 and 40 somethings with iPhone calendars that look like they have chicken pox from all the dots for meetings/appointments/commitments and etc.
3. Less reality TV and more sci-fi and fantasy. Ax the talk shows too. I’ll be generous and leave the soaps, news shows, and syndicated sitcoms for variety.
4. A federal mandate that we go digital by, like, tomorrow. Paper sucks and takes up too much space. We’re
killing trees folks! Computers aren’t the devil. You can learn it. Stretch the brain and save yourself papercuts.
5. Make telemarketing illegal. Period. Forget the do not call list. Just make it all a felony.
6. While we speak of illegal, is there a logical reason why gas needs to be over $2.00 a gallon? Oh, spare me the economic mumbo jumbo. I said logical. I contribute to some oil executive clearing multi-billion dollar profits every 2 weeks when I go to the gas station. Now how are those profits related to supply and demand (besides the demand for the executives to have big profits)?
7. Write off pets on your taxes. Because too many people abuse animals and I think those that make the
investment of providing them with the care and life they’re supposed to have should be rewarded.
8. Along those lines, I think the penalties for hurting animals should be exactly the same as they would
be for hurting a human being. A dog, cat, bird, or horse is just as alive as I am. So why a $20 fine and slap on the hand for hurting them and death penalty case for hurting a human? The people that hurt humans usually started by abusing animals. Throw them in the slammer for killing an animal and they won’t be out there to hurt kids. Or anybody else for that matter. Because we got the hint that they completely disrespect the sanctity of life when they hurt an animal and we did something about it sooner rather than later.
9. Terraform Mars. Because at 7 billion and climbing, it’s getting a wee bit crowded on the third rock from the sun. Ok, that's not confined to America, but we should be leading in research, development and planning to extend our reach to the stars.
10.Get rid of standard time. We’re only on it for 4 months a year. Chuck the twice a year clock reset and leave it daylights saving time year round. Because really, nobody likes it being dark at 5:30 p.m. in the winter anyway. Face it, we’re trying to phase it out anyway. Let’s just do it already.
So that's it - 10 things I think our candidates should be talking about instead of the nonsense they're spewing every day. But of course, that's just my opinion. And we all know that doesn't count - until election day, anyway.
Happy Friday to you folks. Have a great weekend.