- I’m not interested in your dead stuff. After last night’s episode of The Blacklist, I want to say for once and for all to stop with the images of dead people and animals! It’s not cool or brilliant; it’s disgusting and sick! Yes, the reaper swathed a path through my life in 2010-2014. I lost three friends and a parakeet to cancer, my father-in-law to dementia, and various others to ailments related to aging during that time. It was so bad that the staff at the funeral home recognized us, and Rick referred to our church directory at “The Book of the Dead.” Just because death was cleaning out my life doesn’t mean that I liked it or took an interest in the decomposition process, but I guess others did because there was a thing about posting pictures of dead people and pets on social media. Is that really how you want to remember your beloved? I had enough imagery burned in my brain that I could have gone a happy lifetime without, and my readers are getting it back when Fracture publishes later this year. My books already gave beta readers nightmares before, so don’t make it worse. Keep your death photos private, please, unless you want me to write more stuff that you can’t read over meals or before bedtime.
- Being in my own world doesn’t mean that I’m oblivious to the world around me. My muse has gotten fat from whispering and idle gossip that you think I don’t hear. While there have been times when I got so sucked into writing that I missed big, obvious things in the world around me, this is a stereotype that people are too fast to slap on me. The truth is that ideas are inspired by reality, so a writer’s eyes and ears are always open. We may not say anything, but we see you; we hear you; and the wheels are turning. Then again, I think people are catching on to this one, because they’re starting to assume that I know things I haven’t been told – see my last entry on that one. Here is a balance that my reality needs work on.
- I’m not judging you. People assume that I spend a lot of time to myself because I don’t think they’re “good enough” for me. Actually, I’m a borderline introvert/extrovert, so my level of engagement varies depending on which side wins. I’m not sure which side will win each day, so it’s as much a surprise to me as it is to you. And frankly, it’s aggravating to have one of your most defining personality traits in a constant state of flux, because it makes interpersonal relationships tough except with a select few that “get it.” So if I’m quiet or withdrawn, know that it’s probably because the introvert is winning now, and if I’m chattering your ears off, it’s most likely not because of anything you said or did. I’m not judging you, because I’m pondering my own business and not thinking anything about you at all.
- We cancelled our TV service because we believe we’re “better than that.” We cancelled our TV service because the price of TV service is morally objectionable, and we can watch the shows we like through a digital antenna or online services (some free, some paid, but the paid ones are cheaper than a regular service and can be started and stopped). These companies start you out with a great offer for a year or two, and then it shoots through the stratosphere. That’s crazy! Plus, I feel great breaking the TV addiction. I’d rather have freedom with my time and money. I’m hoping that this is a step on the path to wisdom and financial responsibility!
- Am I “up to something?” Idle chatter isn’t my style with people outside my “inner circle,” so people are quick to assume that I’m disinterested, angry, or hatching a nefarious plot that’s going to spring something unpleasant or inconvenient on the world. That’s funny. Then again, life is funny and you never know how today’s events will impact tomorrow. The truth is that life is better now than it has been in a long time, and I’m enjoying it and minding my own business. It’s the best way to live, and happy is the path I’m on. Not juicy, but sorry – that’s all I have to feed the gossip mill.
That’s all today. Have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend.