Um yes, there actually is.
Two years ago, I wrote a blog entry titled “Things More Interesting Than the Royal Wedding” and it was probably one of my highest viewed blogs. Which surprised me, really, since it was nothing more than a rambling of things I found more interesting than royal nuptials. Still, I suppose it speaks to the point that we all have our opinions on what we deem as “interesting.” Well, now they’re expecting a baby and it’s all over the grocery store newsstands. So here I am again, this time with an entry of things more interesting than the royal pregnancy. Because I’m not a royal watcher myself, but I do have my eye on:
1. Iron Man 3. Come on, you know you want to see it after the breathtaking spectacle that was The Avengers last summer. We all want to know what’s up in the superhero world a year after we were saved from Loki’s shenanagins with the tesseract. We also want to know what was up with that last scene. It hinted at something unpleasant coming to Earth. What was it?
2. Star Trek – Into Darkness. It’s not just for Trekkie nerds anymore. J.J. Abrams elevated the Star Trek franchise to new heights – and popularity – with his magnificent rendition of the original crew in 2009’s Star Trek, and the previews alone make it clear that the bar has been raised. It will be a special effects extravanganza to say the least, and since Abrams rewrote the history of the Trek universe with the destruction of Vulcan in the last movie, who knows what adventures they’ll find next?
3. Fast and Furious 6. There's nothing quite like it. The characters. The cars. The driving scenes. Wow! I wonder what the gang is up to now?
4. Breaking Bad, Season 5. It kicks off August 11th. Can you believe it? After 4 seasons of chasing, Hank is onto Walter White being the elusive Heisenburg he’s been searching for! And this is the final season for the series, so there are no limits to where this could go by the big finale.
5. The College World Series. It might surprise you to know that I do like college baseball, but I usually don’t start following it until we get to the regionals and super-regionals. The big questions is, how far will the University of South Carolina go under a new coach? Ray Tanner left last season to take over as Athletic Director, but the team is still going strong. The won 2 college world series in a row and came so close to a 3-peat last year. It’ll be interesting to see how they do with a new leader this year.
6. Thor 2 - The Dark World. I loved the first Thor movie and this one looks like it’s bigger, better, and more of, well, everything. Plus, I must admit that Thor is my favorite Avenger and Loki is my favorite villain. I mean folks, watch that trailer. Is that not awesome?
7. The end of the world is just the beginning. My sci-fi novel, Splinter, is scheduled for release through Whiskey Creek Press in November. Keep an eye on this website for information this fall.
8. The Hobbit – The Desolation of Smaug. I love fantasy. I love J.R.R. Tolkein. I love The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. And I love dragons. I think you see how this equation works for me.
So sorry folks, but I just don’t have time to track the royal pregnancy. I wish them the best, but I’m far removed from that and have a life of my own to attend to. Plus, there are so many other interesting things going on and I simply have to focus my attention on what matters. In my corner of the world, anyway.
That’s all today. Take care and have a good week.